Tuesday, May 3, 2011

William Holland: Day 1

So here I am in Young Harris, GA at the William Holland School of Lapidary Arts.  I meant to blog about my fun adventures getting here from Lexington, but it was such an exhausting trip that I can't even begin to put it down on paper (computer) yet.  Let's just put it this way.  I left Lexington at 11am on a trip that was SUPPOSED to take me approximately 5 hours.  Seven hours later I arrived at my destination just in time to drop my bags in my room, eat dinner, and meet my instructor and classmates.  Much to my surprise and delight, I have a quiet room to myself with plenty of room for all the supplies I brought and a very clean bathroom.

Day 1 was absolutely awesome and exciting!  Class started at 9am and I pulled myself away from the last unfinished project at 9pm thanks to our wonderful instructor working overtime for her eager to learn students.  I could probably go on and on about my day, but most likely the few readers I have would stop reading at this point.  Pictures are worth a thousand words so without further a do, here are the pretties I made today!

 My instructor calls this a "basic bracelet."  I can assure you there is nothing basic about this bracelet other than its elegance and simplicity.  


The back of the "basic bracelet" includes a handcrafted hook and eye closure.



 A simple ring with a carnelian bead.


This is the second piece I made on day 1.  Due to skyrocketing silver prices, we are using copper for practice and other projects unless we choose another type.  If you look closely, I twisted a few pieces of the wire (second in from each piece of wire in the middle). 


Three beaded ring with purple pearl beads of course!!
 Three bead ring with purple pearls of course!!


The side view of the pearl ring is stunning.  I love the way this one turned out.

Phew!!  I can hardly wait to see what Day 2 brings!  

No comments:

Post a Comment